March 13 @ 8:00 am - March 14 @ 4:30 pm$245 – $445
Presented by: Kim Barthel, BMR, OTR, C/NDT
A presentation of pioneering research in the neurobiology of autism with treatment strategies supporting people who work with individuals on the Autism Spectrum. Topics explored will include epigenetics, the immune system, sensory contributions, functional movement, complex behaviour and co-regulation. Whether you are an educator, therapist of any kind, psychologist, physician, caregiver or keen parent, you will develop a deeper understanding of the brain-body science of ASD, and develop evidence-informed treatment and holistic therapy choices across a wide range of possibilities.
Upon completion of the workshop, participants will:
- Have an introductory understanding of the current science of genetic and environmental interaction in the development of ASD;
- Have an introductory appreciation of the immune system’s effect upon the brain and the behavior of individuals with autism;
- Understand how the neurological wiring of autism impacts attention span, self-regulation, learning and behavior;
- Appreciate the sensory contributions of challenges experienced by individuals with ASD;
- Appreciate the functional movement challenges experienced by individuals with ASD;
- Discuss effective and sustainable teaching, therapy and day-to-day strategies that support individuals with ASD to be their best selves through a relational, sensory and motor lens.
Who should attend?
Therapists (OTs, PTs & SLPs), teachers, allied educators (in mainstream or special needs settings), psychologists, psychiatrists, group home staff, caregivers and keen family members.
Kim Barthel, BMR, OTR, C/NDT is a world-renowned speaker, teacher, occupational therapist and author, actively supporting multi-disciplinary function and healing in many cultures. A pioneer in reinforcing the importance of relationship, she is known for blending cutting-edge developments in neuroscience with the art of compassionate inquiry. With 35+ years as an OT, Kim’s specialties include Autism, Neuro-Developmental Treatment, Sensory Processing, Complex Behaviour, Mental Health, Trauma Informed Practice, and Attachment.
All break refreshments are included. Handouts are provided. Lunch is on your own. Certificates of attendance will be issued to all participants.
SAOT Paid Members save $70!
Group registration rates available, when purchased on the same order of 6+ people.