The Sequential Oral Sensory (S.O.S) Approach to Feeding Conference is a trans-disciplinary program for assessing and treating children with feeding difficulties and weight/growth problems from birth to 18 years. It integrates posture, sensory, motor, behavioral/learning, medical, and nutritional factors to comprehensively evaluate and manage children with feeding/growth problems.
March 20-24, 2024
Days 1-4 from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Day 5 from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Group registration rates available, with a 20% discount, when purchased on the same order of 6 or more people.
*Discount automatically applied at checkout. *Note: Registration prices are in CAD
REGISTRATION CLOSES March 15, 2024 at 11:59 PM. NO EXTENSIONS.
Intended Audience: Occupational Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Registered Dietitians, Special Education Teachers, Psychologists, Physical Therapists, Early Intervention Specialists, Nurses, Physicians, and Mental Health Workers. Note: Training conferences are created for professionals. If parents wish to attend the training workshop, they must be accompanied by their child’s feeding therapist.
The SOS Approach to Feeding conference is an Intermediate level course: Information is geared to practitioners with a general working knowledge of current practice trends and literature related to the subject matter. Focus is on increasing understanding and competent application of the subject matter. The course content is focused on the SOS Approach to Feeding and there will be limited, or no information provided about similar products or services.
1. List the seven areas of human function that need to be examined to provide a comprehensive Feeding Assessment.
2. Identify at least five of the oral, sensory, motor, cognitive or emotional developmental milestones key to being able to eat well.
3. List three reasons why children won’t eat, as based on learning theory principles.
4. Differentiate classical and operant conditioning principles as applied to resolving feeding problems.
5. Identify at least four of the necessary components of an SOS Approach to Feeding program for babies, toddlers, and young children in either an individual or group therapy session.
6. List all three requirements for building a Food Hierarchy.
7. Identify at least one play based strategy for progressing a child up each of the 6 major Steps on the Steps to Eating Hierarchy.
Upon full completion of the SOS Approach to Feeding Conference, participants must complete a course evaluation form in order to receive their certificate of attendance.
***CEUs will be NOT be provided to those attending from the U.S. (AOTA, ASHA, or CDR)***
Attendance Policy:To ensure Learners successfully achieve the Learning Outcomes above and receive their Certificate of Attendance, all attendees are expected to attend the conference for the entire duration of each day (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM on Days 1-4 and 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM on Day 5). Attendees will miss crucial information needed to be able to correctly use the SOS Approach to Feeding program if they come late or leave the conference early. Late arrival or early departure on any day will not be accepted. Certificates of Attendance will not be given to Attendees that are late or leave early. Please make any travel arrangements to ensure that you do not need to leave the conference early on any day. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Refreshment breaks are included. Lunch is on your own.
University of Alberta: Lister Centre Guest Rooms
Whyte Avenue: Varscona Hotel; Metterra Hotel
Downtown: Matrix Hotel; Holiday Inn Express Edmonton Downtown, an IHG Hotel; Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel by APA; Chateau Lacombe Hotel
Therapy Assistants & Students in Training: Additional Attendance Requirements: All Students and Therapy Assistants must follow individual licensing/training standards for their Country and their professional degrees supervision standards. When there is a requirement for students and/or assistants to practice only under professional supervision, the SOS Approach to Feeding program requires those students and assistants to have a Supervisor who themselves have attended a SOS Training Conference.
• If your Supervisor has previously attended the SOS Approach to Feeding and you are registering to attend an SOS Training Conference as a Therapy Assistant or Student, please have your supervisor send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating that they will provide supervision to you as required by your Country’s standards while practicing the SOS Approach to Feeding program, along with a copy of their SOS Certificate of Attendance.
• If your supervisor is planning to attend an SOS Conference with you, please have your supervisor send an email to email@example.com stating that they will be attending the SOS conference with you and will provide supervision to you while practicing the SOS Approach to Feeding.
Complaint Policy & Procedures: SAOT views complaints as an opportunity to learn and improve future programs and resources, as well as a chance to put things right for the person or organization that has made the complaint. Please read the full Complaint Policy and Resolution Procedures document here.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be received in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 9, 2024 to receive a refund minus a $50 administrative fee. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received after this date.
Cancellation of the Event by Toomey & Associates, Inc.: Please be aware that Toomey & Associates, Inc. will present this conference despite one or even two Speakers being ill. If all three Speakers are ill, substitute SPEAKERS will be sent. If all 3 Speakers are ill and no substitute Speakers are available, this would then constitute a SPEAKER cancellation.
If the conference is cancelled by Toomey & Associates due to, but not limited to, the following: Speaker cancellation; Limited enrollment; Severe weather (snowstorm, flooding, etc.); Conference site issues (power outages, emergency situations).
Registrants will receive a full refund of their registration fee within 30 days of the originally scheduled conference by the method that the registrant used to pay for the registration. (If payment was received by credit/debit card, the refund will be refunded to the original credit/debit card used, if payment was received via a check, a refund will be provided by check.) Costs incurred for nonrefundable travel arrangements or other related individual expenses will not be refunded by the Society of Alberta Occupational Therapists.
Presenters: Dr. Kay Toomey & Team
Dr. Kay A. Toomey is a Pediatric Psychologist who has worked with children who don’t eat for almost 35 years. She has developed the SOS Approach to Feeding as a family centered program for assessing and treating children with feeding problems. Dr. Toomey speaks nationally and internationally about her approach. Dr. Toomey helped to form The Children’s Hospital – Denver’s Pediatric Oral Feeding Clinic, as well as the Rose Medical Center’s Pediatric Feeding Center. Dr. Toomey co-chaired the Pediatric Therapy Services Department at Rose Medical Center prior to entering private practice. Dr. Toomey acted as the Clinical Director for Toomey & Associates, Inc.’s Feeding Clinic, and then the SOS Feeding Solutions @ STAR before shifting into clinical consultation in order to focus on her teaching. Dr. Toomey is currently the President of Toomey & Associates, Inc.
In this episode, learn more about the complexity of eating and the SOS Approach to Feeding.